You are here
Phillips Thygeson, MD
- Recognition:ASCRS Ophthalmology Hall of Fame
Dr. Phillips Thygeson, the second distinguished American ophthalmologist to receive the Proctor Medal Award of the Association for Research in Ophthalmology, was born in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1903. He received his medical degree from the Stanford University School of Medicine. He interned at the Colorado General Hospital in Denver. In 1931, he became a diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology.
From 1930-1932, Dr. Thygeson was assistant in ophthalmology at the University of Colorado School of Medicine. He served as an assistant professor of ophthalmology at the University of Iowa College of Medicine from 1933-1936 and was a professor of ophthalmology at Columbia University in New York. He also served as the director of the Institute of Ophthalmology of the Presbyterian Hospital in New York.
After active duty in the U.S. Army from 1942-1946, Dr. Thygeson became a colonel in the Medical Reserve, U.S. Army. From 1946-1948, he was the section chief in ophthalmology, Branch 12, Veterans Administration.
In 1946, Dr. Thygeson became a lecturer in ophthalmology at the University of California Medical School.
Dr. Thygeson received his doctorate of ophthalmology and master's degree from the University of Colorado in Denver.