All information collected from ASCRS ASOA members will be used solely for membership purposes and will not be disclosed to third parties without the express written consent from the member.
ASCRS/ASOA is committed to protecting your privacy. The information bellow covers what information is collected on our website and how we use it. If you have questions or concerns please email us.
Personal Information we collect
What is Personal Information
Personal Information is information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier, or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
We do not consider personal information to include information that has been anonymized or aggregated so that it can no longer be used to identify a specific natural person, whether in combination with other information or otherwise.
We collect personal information from you when you use our services.
How we define, collect, and use personal information
Identifying information such as your name, addresses, telephone numbers or email addresses when you register for an account with us.
- Other content that you generate, or that is connected to your account
- Financial information (such as credit card or bank account numbers) about a transaction
- Postage, billing and other information used to purchase an item, as well as, where postal services are provided through one of our programs, information required to clear customs (such as Tax ID or other identification numbers) and relevant postage information (such as tracking numbers and tracking updates)
- You may also provide us other information through a web form, by updating or adding information to your account, through your participation in community discussions, member-to-member communications, chats, dispute resolution, or when you otherwise communicate with us regarding our services
How we Use your Personal Information
We use the personal information we collect from you for a range of different business purposes and according to different legal bases of processing. The following is a summary of how and according to which legal bases we use your personal information.
We use your personal information to fulfill a contract with you and provide you with our services, to comply with our legal obligation, protect your vital interest, or as may be required for the public good. This includes:
- To provide payment processing and account management, operate, measure and improve our services, keep our services safe, secure and operational, and customize site content that includes items and services that you may like in response to actions that you take
- To contact you regarding your account, to troubleshoot problems with your account, to resolve a dispute, to collect fees or monies owed or as otherwise necessary to provide you customer service
- When contacting you for such purposes as outlined above, we may contact you via email, telephone, SMS/text messages, postal mail, and via mobile push notifications
- When contacting you via telephone, to ensure efficiency, we may use autodialed or pre-recorded calls and text messages as authorized by applicable law. Message and data rates may apply
- To provide other services requested by you as described when we collect the information
- We use general location information to provide you with location based services (such as advertising, search results, and other personalized content)
- To prevent, detect, mitigate, and investigate fraud, security breaches or other potentially prohibited or illegal activities
We use your personal information to pursue our legitimate interests where your rights and freedoms do not outweigh these interests. We have implemented controls to balance our interests with your rights. This allows us to:
- Improve our services, for example by reviewing information associated with stalled or crashed pages experienced by users allowing us to identify and fix problems and give you a better experience
- Contact you via email or postal mail to offer you special promotions, poll your opinions through surveys or questionnaires and inform you about our Services, as authorized by applicable law
- Contact you about public policy matters, or other current events, related to your ability to use our services. This could include an invitation to join a petition, letter writing, call or other sort of public policy related campaigns
- Deliver targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences
- Measure the performance of our email marketing campaigns (e.g. by analyzing open and click rates)
- Monitor and improve the information security of our site and mobile applications
With your consent, we may use your personal information to:
- Provide you with marketing via telephone calls, email, SMS or text
- Customize third party advertising you might see on third party websites
- Use your precise geo-location to provide location based services
Your Choices about how we use your Personal Information
You have choices about how we use your personal information to communicate with you, to send you marketing information, how we provide you with customized and relevant advertising, and whether you want to stay signed into your account.
If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us, you can unsubscribe via the link in an email you receive, or contact our member services.
Personal Information we collect using cookies
Cookies are pieces of information that are stored on your computer and are used for record keeping purposes. We use only anonymous information (such as IP address) to track how our online visitors use our website.
If you do not wish to participate in our advertising personalization programs, you can opt-out by following the directions provided within the applicable advertisement. The effect of an opt-out will be to stop personalized advertising, but it will still allow the collection of personal information as otherwise described in this privacy notice. We do not allow third parties to track or collect your personal information on our sites for their own advertising purposes, without your consent.
We use Google services, such as Google Analytics, which place first-party and/or third-party cookies on a browser across our websites. To opt out of Google tracking, please visit their opt-out page. We also use AdRoll “remarketing" to market our site across the web. We place a cookie on a browser, and then AdRoll reads these cookies and may serve an ad on a 3rd party site. You may opt out of this ad serving on AdRoll's opt out page. If you are concerned about 3rd party cookies served by networks, you should also visit the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page.
How long we keep your personal information
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide the services you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our policies.
If you have questions about your anonymizing please contact member services.
How do we protect your Personal Information?
We protect your personal information using technical and administrative security measures to reduce the risks of loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure and alteration. Some of the safeguards we use are firewalls and data encryption, physical access controls to our data centers, and information access authorization controls. For more information about staying safe online, or to report an issue with your account please contact us.
ASCRS ASOA is providing information and services on the Internet as a benefit and service in furtherance of ASCRS ASOA’s nonprofit and tax-exempt status. ASCRS ASOA does not exert editorial control over materials that are posted on this site by third parties or materials that are e-mailed by third parties to any other persons. ASCRS ASOA is not responsible for any material posted by any third party. ASCRS ASOA specifically disclaims any and all liability for any claims or damages that result from postings by third parties. ASCRS ASOA reserves the right to remove any materials that are posted on this site by third parties or materials that are e-mailed by third parties that ASCRS ASOA considers to be objectionable. Although the ASCRS ASOA site includes links providing direct access to other Internet sites, ASCRS ASOA has not participated in the development of these other sites and does not exert any editorial or other control over these other sites.
Medical information published here by ASCRS ASOA or by any third party is not intended to replace consultation with a qualified health care provider. Please consult an appropriate health care provider. ASCRS ASOA does not answer specific medical questions or refer persons to specific health care providers.
All materials posted on this site are subject to copyrights owned by the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery and the American Society of Ophthalmic Administrators (ASCRS ASOA ) unless indicated otherwise. ASCRS ASOA hereby provides limited permission for users of this site to reproduce, retransmit, or reprint, for such user's personal use only, part or all of any document on this site. All other reproduction, retransmission, or reprinting of all or part of any document found on this site is expressly prohibited, unless ASCRS ASOA has expressly granted its prior consent to so reproduce, retransmit, or reprint the material. All other rights are reserved.
If you need more information about this privacy notice, our global privacy standards, or our information handling practices, you can reach us by writing at: ASCRS ASOA 4000 Legato Rd., Ste. 700 Fairfax, VA, 22033.
Your right to file complaints with a data protection supervisory authority remains unaffected.