2021 ASCRS Annual Meeting Announcement
Registration is Open
Registration and Housing for the 2021 ASCRS and ASOA Annual Meetings is Open!
Register now to attend the 2021 ASCRS Annual Meeting, featuring:
- Essential education and the latest in clinical techniques
- Inspiring speakers, expert faculty, and distinguished lecturers
- An Exhibit Hall with the latest industry trends from more than 200 companies
- Unparalleled opportunities to connect with friends, colleagues, and mentors
- ASOA practice management education for all members of the practice
The Early Bird Registration deadline is April 30 for the meeting being held in person July 23–27 in Las Vegas, Nevada!
In an effort to reduce high prescription drug costs, the Trump administration announced in 2018 a new policy that was effective January 1, 2019, to permit Medicare Advantage (MA) Plans to begin using step therapy for Part B drugs administered in the office or facility. Following the policy announcement, CMS released a final rule, opposed by ASCRS and the medical community, which codifies the use of step therapy in MA plans and expands step therapy and prior authorization in Part D plans effective on January 1, 2020.Issue Brief
How it Impacts You
Step therapy, also known as “fail first,” is a cost-containment strategy that requires physicians to prescribe an insurer’s preferred treatment first, and only covers more expensive treatments if the patient does not respond to the initial treatment. Previously, MA plans were prohibited from using step therapy; however, as part of the overall effort to reduce the costs of prescription drugs, CMS announced in August 2018 that plans may begin using step therapy for the 2019 benefit year.